Winter is the perfect time to head to the mountains for skiing or snuggling up with a good book. Generally, it is not a time for planting new flowers, painting outbuildings, or conducting repairs to your property. You may not even think about household pests like ants, silverfish, or worse, termites, invading your home. The reality is, winter does not mean termites go into hibernation like bears. They have no respect for seasons and are year-round destroyers of homes.
No matter what time of year it is, you need regular inspections. At Times Up Termite, Inc., our licensed professionals will investigate your home, gauge the severity of the damage, and tailor a termite treatment service for your Oakland home to minimize the damage these invasive pests can cause.
Winter Conditions Do Not Deter a Termite Infestation
Termites need just a few essentials to survive and thrive. Given the ideal conditions, an infestation can quickly wreak havoc on your property. Here are some basics to make you aware of how resilient these pests are:
- Termites need cellulose which comes from wood, drywall, paper, cardboard, or plant matter. They also need water and humidity as their exoskeleton is not strong enough to protect them in dry conditions.
- Termites like an average of 75 degrees Fahrenheit to thrive. If Oakland’s winter is a bit colder, they will just dig deeper into your walls or underground.
- These pests swarm together and reproduce in the spring. You may notice the swarming behavior because this happens above ground. You might see wings near your window sills. Even though it may be winter, you can observe other signs, such as:
- Peeling paint
- Cracks in your walls or ceiling
- Soft spots on your floors
- Hollow sounds when you knock on the wood
- Termite waste, also called frass
If you do notice any of these signs, call an exterminator at once for a thorough pest inspection.
Nip Termite Damage in the Bud – Hire a Trusted Pest Control Company
Winter is not a time to let your guard down. The key to winning the war on termites is through proactive steps in treating your home. If you wait until they infest your woodwork, you will pay a high price for repairing the damage.
For more than 20 years, the certified professionals at Times Up Termite, Inc. have helped homeowners across Oakland, Castro Valley, Berkeley, Fremont, and the surrounding areas, get rid of unwanted and damaging pests, and protect their family and home.
Give us a call at 510-568-7200 to speak with our team of experts at Times Up Termite, Inc. You can also contact us online to request a free termite inspection in Oakland.