Remember that little black dress you bought in the hope of wearing it this holiday season? Now is a great time to get it out, freshen it up, and check for holes from termites. Wait! Termites? Yes, those wood-boring pests that eat through wood also enjoy the cellulose in natural cloth fibers like cotton. Cotton has cellulose in it – that organic material found in plants. Often as they burrow into your home, termites creep their way into your closet for a tasty morsel of your favorite dress or shirt.
These insects need to eat, and they have their purpose in the chain of decomposition. You just need them to do it away from your home and closet. If you notice holes in clothing, consider this a sign of a full-blown infestation and get help from the certified professionals at Times Up Termite, Inc. We work with you to inspect your home, assess possible damage, and tailor a termite treatment service for your needs.
Tips to Start Ridding Your Closet of a Termite Infestation
With a few action steps and the right treatment plan, you can enter your closet with confidence. Use these tips to get started and then call for additional pest control back-up with a free termite inspection:
- Wash Soiled Clothing: Termites are attracted to the soils left on clothes. Wash soiled clothing before putting them in back in the closet.
- Vacuuming the Closet Well: It is easy to forget to regularly and thoroughly vacuum closets because they are low-traffic areas. Failing to keep the floor clean can invite unwelcome guests.
- Remove Firewood Stacks: If you have stacked wood near the outside of your home, move it further away from the foundation where the insects can move quickly from the logs to your house.
- Keep Moisture Out: The wood eating bugs also love moisture, so make sure you have good ventilation in your kitchen and bathrooms. Seal areas of your home like the crawlspace.
- Avoid Storing Items in Cardboard: Reconsider storing items in cardboard boxes. It is like putting an “Eat at Joe’s” sign out for all the neighboring bugs to see.
Keep Your Fremont Home Safe with a Free Termite Inspection
Make your clothing and home less appealing to termites when you take steps to thwart their advances. Call in support by hiring the certified professionals at Times Up Termite, Inc. Since 1991, we have served homeowners across the Fremont, Berkeley, Oakland, and Castro Valley areas, protecting their homes and belongings (including little black dresses) with free termite inspections.
Contact us at 510-568-7200 to speak with our team of experts at Times Up Termite, Inc. You can also get in touch online to request a free estimate for termite control in Fremont.