Termites cannot damage the foundation of your home if it is made of concrete, concrete block, or brick. They can, however, wreak havoc on the wood sources within your home by entering a crack within your foundation. Imagine the damage to your wooden structural beams. Those creaking floors may not be because of age but because of a tiny cellulose-eating pest.
Beat these wood-boring bugs at their game by investing in regular inspections from the professionals at Times Up Termite. We work with you to establish a custom-designed termite control plan for your Fremont area home. Save thousands of dollars in damage inflicted by these pests when you call us today.
How to Detect Termite Damage in Your Foundation
It’s imperative to remember that any untreated crack in your foundation is an open invitation for subterranean termites. The bugs live underground in the soil. Once a source of food is found, the workers will build tunnels comprised of mud, saliva, and feces to move above ground without dehydrating. While many people think that termites eat wood, what they are attracted to is cellulose material. This means they will eat piles of sawdust, natural fiber carpet, trees and shrubs, and sheetrock backing.
Here are a few ways you can see evidence of a potential foundation damage by termites:
- Mud Tunnels: Look inside your home’s crawlspace and along walls or insulation for mud tubes that are about the diameter of a pencil. They will reach from the ground up to your wooden floor joists.
- Hollow Spots: Tap on exposed wood with a flat-head screwdriver and listen for any hollow spots.
- Flying “Ants”: Termites are often confused with carpenter ants. Be on the lookout for ant-like bugs with bent antennae and front wings that are longer than the hind wings. It will be easier to see during the swarming season in spring.
How to Reduce the Risk of Termites Invading Your Home
You can do a few things to keep your home off their menu:
- Be sure your home has proper grading to promote adequate drainage away from your house’s foundation.
- Keep your gutters and downspouts free of debris.
- Use caulk to fill any cracks in your cement foundation.
- Seal any opening where your utilities enter your home.
- Plant trees and shrubs at least two feet from your foundation.
- Store firewood and mulch away from your house.
Get Dependable Termite Control for Your Fremont Home by Times Up Termite
If you don’t feel qualified to check for potential invasions, call upon the professionals at Times Up Termite. We offer free termite control inspections. Then we will design a plan to eradicate any existing infestation and keep the pests away. We are also trained to utilize several different options, including Altriset to eliminate these pesky invaders. It is an eco-friendly, reduced-risk pesticide that is a better choice for homes with children or pregnant women. Choose us and enjoy the peace of mind that your home is well cared for.
Give us a call at 510-568-7200 to speak with our team of experienced, licensed professionals at Times Up Termite, Inc. You can also contact us online to request a free termite inspection.