For many Americans who live in colder climates, going south for the winter may sound appealing. Depending on where you reside, you may envy the hibernating bear. As the mercury falls and plants and animals slow down to hibernate, it is easy to believe that bugs do the same. Unlike other members of the animal kingdom, termites are eating machines that munch in wood and other cellulose items 24/7, 365 days a year.
That is why it’s important that you protect your home year-round when you enlist the services of Times Up Termite Inc. Our experienced team will come into your Hayward home and conduct a free termite inspection. We will go over every nook and cranny for these pests and develop a detailed plan to keep them far away from your property.
What Happens to Termites in Winter – Myth vs. Fact
Before you let your guard down, believing that these wood-boring bugs will die out or take a long winter’s nap, think again. Termites are resilient ‘bug’gers! And, they are happy to continue destroying your structure throughout the cold weather. Here are a few facts to consider:
- Termites do not die in the winter. Quite the contrary! When the temperature falls below 75 degrees Fahrenheit, the pests will do what they need to stay warm. For example, the subterranean species will dig further into the ground for warmth.
- They do not hibernate. These pesky bugs have too much eating to do to sleep all winter. The worker termites will still seek out food sources to keep the colony munching all season long
- They are just as active as in the summer, but you don’t see them as readily. Because of needing to stay warm, you may not see much evidence around your property as in the spring or summer. Don’t let that fool you. They are happily eating you out of house and home.
Protecting Your Home Even in Cold Weather
Protect your home with these steps:
- Remove any wood that is in contact with the soil.
- Remove wooden debris like firewood from near your home and foundation.
- Keep the crawl space dry with proper ventilation.
- Ensure water is whisked away from your foundation by cleaning downspouts and gutters.
Rid Your Alameda Home of Pests with a Free Termite Inspection
Don’t let your guard down even in cold weather! Protect your residence from the damage these wood-eating pests inflict when you opt for a free termite inspection from Times Up Termite Inc. We will scrutinize every inch of your space, looking for evidence of an infestation. Then we will custom-design a plan to exterminate these bugs utilizing the appropriate means for which we are trained. An example of one such pesticide is an eco-friendly, reduced-risk pesticide called Altriset. We use it because it is a better choice for your home if you have children, pets, or someone is pregnant. Contact us today to see how we can help protect your home.