Winter is the time for holidays and all the fun and traditions that go along with them. Christmas can be especially fun with trees, stockings, and lights. It is a magical time for children where they wonder if they have been good enough to make Santa’s good list. As you lay your head down for a long winter’s nap, the dancing of sugar plums may be the munching of termites on your home’s structure. This wood-boring pest stays on Santa’s “Naughty” list because of all the damage it causes. However, a termite inspection conducted on your San Ramon home gives you the opportunity to catch the critters before they cause irreparable damage. If left alone, you may need to return Santa’s gifts to pay for repairs!
Signs of Termite Damage around the House
Some people like to hide gifts or elves and leave clues for the recipient to find. Termites also leave some clues, but it is the damage they are hiding. Here are some hints you might see:
- Fecal Matter: These bits look similar to sawdust, so it can be hard to discern. However, as the bug burrows into your drywall, window sills, or furniture, it will kick out its fecal matter.
- Mud Tubes: Subterranean termites will leave mud tubes, which look like dirt veins, along your foundation. These are their tunnels from the ground up to your building’s structure.
- Hollow Sounds: A couple of taps on your walls should render a solid sound. If it sounds hollow instead, wood-eating pests may be to blame.
- Bubbling or Peeling Paint: You might find some paint bubbling on a wall or ceiling. If there is no obvious sign of water damage, then it’s not Santa’s helpers. It is something more nefarious.
- Buckling Wood: If your wood floors seem swollen or buckling, it could be termites munching away. They may even make the wood look like it has water damage with the mildew smell they can exude from their hormones.
Ways to Keep Termites from Your Home
Termites cause billions of dollars in damage each year across the United States. While they play a beneficial role in nature, your house should not be part of the plan. You can thwart these holiday happiness robbers with these simple tips:
- Repair any water leaks as soon as possible after discovery. Subterranean termites love moisture. Water leaks make a perfect haven.
- Store firewood away from your structures. Keeping wood too close could be inviting an invasion.
- Get regular termite inspections. Your family is worth the investment to have a professional regularly inspect your home.
Get Rid of Pests – Start with a Termite Inspection from Times Up Termite
Make sure your holiday is not ruined because of termites. Seek out the services of Santa’s pest control helpers at Times Up Termite. We are a team of professionals who take the safety of your home seriously. We come in, conduct a thorough inspection, and provide you with options depending on the findings. We will also give you treatment options if we find termites, including the eco-friendly, reduced-risk pesticide, Altriset. It is safer than others, especially if your San Ramon home has children, pets, or pregnant moms within it. We are happy to answer your questions and explain more when you contact us today.
Call 510-568-7200 to speak with our team of experienced, licensed professionals at Times Up Termite, Inc. You can also contact us online to request a free termite inspection in San Ramon.