You have fought the good fight. After much struggle, you have defeated the pesky termite. No longer will this wood-chewing pest make a meal out of your house. At least, you want to believe this. However, termites don’t realize when you have hung out the ‘No Vacancy’ sign. They will reappear and re-infest your home, and there isn’t much you can do about it. Or is there? The reality is that your battle at a pest-free home will only be accomplished when you keep a keen eye out and have regular termite inspections of your San Mateo residence.
What to Look for to See if Termites Have Returned
Just because one colony is gone doesn’t mean that another one won’t pick up and continue the damage. It’s important to keep an eye out for these indications that your nefarious enemy has returned:
- Bubbling paint: As they chew away at your wall, the paint may begin to bubble.
- Blistering wood: Look at your floors. If you notice blistering, have it checked out.
- Frass (aka, termite droppings): Keep an eye out for sawdust-like particles called frass that is termite droppings.
- Wings near windows and doors: Swarmers leave their wings near your windows and doors. These mating pairs are looking for a new place to land, and it could be your home.
Do Your Part to Lessen the Chance of a New Infestation
There is much you can do to keep your home from inviting more pests, such as:
- Eliminate sources of moisture. These would include leaky faucets and broken water pipes. Basically, anything that keeps the ground moist, invites termites and should be fixed ASAP.
- Ensure water drains away from your house. Additional water from storms will cause moisture build-up around your foundation. Not a good thing for your home’s structural integrity, and especially so when you want to prevent termites from returning.
- Keep piles of wood away from your home. Don’t encourage re-infestation. Move wood stacks far away from your foundation.
- Remove dead limbs. Termites are Mother Nature’s vacuums. They will tear into decaying wood and break it down further. Dead limbs will lead them to your house if you are not careful.
- Have regular termite inspections completed on your San Mateo home. The professionals that eradicated the first colony can help keep new ones from coming in. Take full advantage of regular termite inspections and reap the rewards of staying on top of things.
Prevent a New Infestation with Termite Inspections
Once you gain the upper-hand, keep it with help from Times Up Termite. We have decades of experience combating these pests. Depend on us for high-quality inspections that will find new infestations, if any, and options to kick them to the curb. One option is the eco-friendly, reduced-risk pesticide called Altriset. Use this choice for homes with children, pets, or pregnant moms. We also offer Trelona by BASF for bait stations. Both are fantastic products to keep your home pest free.
Call 510-568-7200 to speak with our team of experienced, licensed professionals at Times Up Termite, Inc. about establishing a regular inspection schedule. You can also contact us online to request a free termite inspection in San Mateo.