Termites cause billions of dollars in damage to homes across the U.S. The good news is that regular inspections help prevent many infestations. You can enjoy your bug-free house without being concerned with the potential damage termites bring. Yet, there are those times when Mother Nature’s cellulose chewers win, and your property comes under attack. What do you do when these pesky bugs have taken up residence in your foundation, walls, and attic? The first step should be to contact a quality termite treatment company for your Alameda residence. They can inspect all parts of your structure and offer the best solutions to eradicate these pests.
Steps to Prep Your House if Termite Treatment Fumigation Is Required
One option for clearing a residence of termites is through a treatment called Fumigation. The treatment requires wrapping the structure in a tarp and introducing a fumigant inside the structure. This type of bug treatment is very effective, especially with drywood termites. If your pest control professional suggests this eradication method, they will need your assistance to prepare your home.
Talk with your preferred technician and use these steps to get your house ready for termite treatment in Alameda:
- Start with personal items: You must vacate the home for 72 hours. As a rule of thumb, plan to spend at least 2 nights and the following day elsewhere (5 days for beetle fumigations). Next, you will want to take precautions for your items.
- Handle perishables and consumables. Go through your pantry and cabinets and remove all perishables. Ideally, they should be relocated to a place outside of your home. Remember to address food, pet food, medicines, and hygiene products. Double bagging, with Nylofume bags ONLY (provided by your termite treatment company) is an option to make things easier than having to remove these items from the home.
- Move on to home items: Once your belongings are cared for, it is time to button up the house.
- Turn off the gas. Your fumigator will contact the gas company to turn off the gas to the structure. The electricity MUST be left on.
- Remove all plants. This step includes all indoor and outdoor plants on your patio or near your home. Move them away from the perimeter so the technicians can move freely around your foundation.
- Uncover furniture and upholstery. Don’t leave any way for termites to hide. Remove any plastic coverings on seats, cushions, and mattresses.
- Open all inside doors. This includes bedroom doors, closet doors, drawers, and cabinets. Doing so allows the chemical to spread throughout the house.
- Prep the shrubbery. Give the technicians plenty of room to move around the exterior of your house by trimming shrubs and tree branches and pulling mulch and gravel away from your foundation. Finally, water vegetation thoroughly along the foundation to help plants withstand the fumigation chemicals.
Protect Your Family and Home with Quality Termite Treatments
Termites don’t care if you have owned your Alameda home for a year or a few decades. They want to demolish it with their incessant eating. Times Up Termite understands how these pests work and offers many options to ensure they don’t destroy your residence. Talk to us about quality termite treatments, such as with the eco-friendly, reduced-risk solution called Altriset. It is an excellent choice for homes where children, pets, or pregnant moms reside. We also recommend termite monitoring/bait stations by BASF around the home for protection from subterranean termites. We are happy to help you get your home back.
Call 510-568-7200 to speak with our team of experienced, licensed professionals at Times Up Termite, Inc. You can also contact us online to request a free termite inspection and book a termite treatment in Alameda.