Many animals slow down during the winter months. Bears find dens to hibernate in. Some species of birds migrate to warmer areas of the world. Even humans limit their outdoor activities in colder parts of the country. Some in the animal kingdom click their mandibles at the changes in the season and keep moving, doing what they do best…chewing wood. The tiny yet mighty termite doesn’t slow down for any changes in the weather. They will infest your home while you think it is entirely safe, even if the outdoor thermometer is sinking. Thorough inspections followed by a high-quality termite treatment are the key to keeping your Fremont home pest-free.
Tips for Keeping Your Home Termite-Free Even During the Winter
Termites are active all year long – even in winter. So, while you are getting out or putting up your holiday decorations, they enjoy themselves by feasting on your floor joists. They will keep nibbling at your drywall when you head to the mountains to ski. You can enjoy your winter activities and keep your home termite-free with these tips:
- Know the signs of an infestation. It is challenging to identify an infestation. There are some indicators to look for, including peeling paint, swelling wood, crumbling wood, and mud tubes on the exterior of your foundation. Hiring an expert to come in and conduct an inspection is an excellent decision.
- Store wood away from your home. Fires in the fireplace are cozy and beautiful. They can also harbor unwanted pests. Avoid storing any firewood near your home. Instead, keep it several feet away and brush it off before you bring it inside.
- Be cautious when unpacking décor. If you store your decorations in cardboard boxes in the attic, basement, or garage, take time to inspect them. Consider unpacking them outside and look for signs of pests.
- Use plastic to store items. After the holidays, use plastic totes for your decorations. This is a good rule of thumb for anything you need to keep for extended periods. Termites won’t appreciate you taking away their food source, and you will have peace of mind.
- Keep the ventilation flowing. These wood-chewing bugs love damp areas, such as basements and crawl spaces. It is helpful to have good airflow in these areas to keep things dry and create an inhospitable space for termites.
- Schedule a termite inspection. Even during the winter, it pays to have a termite inspection done on your Fremont home. Technicians can spot infestations where the average person may not. They can also provide treatments that will eradicate your pest problem.
Keep Your Home Termite-Free – Choose a Reliable Pest Control Company
Every homeowner needs a dependable pest control company that can handle things. Times Up Termite’s technicians are trained to spot evidence of termites and offer the best treatment options for your home. We have one type of treatment known as the eco-friendly, reduced-risk insecticide, Altriset, which is a good choice for homes with children, pets, or pregnant moms. We may also recommend BASF’s bait monitoring and bait stations to eradicate the wood-chewing insects. Are you ready to keep your home termite-free? Call us today!
Call 510-568-7200 to speak with our team of experienced, licensed professionals at Times Up Termite, Inc. You can also contact us online to request a free termite inspection and book a termite treatment in Freemont.