Colder weather means that it is time for Mother Nature’s creatures to wind down and get ready for hibernation; unless you are a termite!Yes, while bears, chipmunks, skunks, bees, snakes, and groundhogs are bedding down, these wood-boring pests show no signs of stopping. Instead of breathing a sigh of relief until summer, homeowners need to keep a sharp eye out for signs of damage even as the temperature drops.
Protect your family’s Oakland home and save thousands of dollars in damage by keeping your guard up even in the winter. These cold-blooded insects cause home and business owners billions each year. Thwart their progress by investing in a regular pest control program for your Oakland home through Times Up Termite, Inc.
How Termites React to Winter’s Cooler Temperatures
Once you understand how your wood munching enemy works, you are better equipped to take action and save your house or business premises. Keep these facts in mind:
- Termites do not hibernate: Their ideal outside temperature is 75 degrees Fahrenheit. As the ground cools to match the air, they will dig deeper underground to stay warm and forage for food. They can be found forty inches below the frost line in some areas of the country.
- They will continue to infiltrate your home: Just as your home keeps you warm and protected, it does the same for your unwanted guests. Once inside, they will continue to burrow in your walls and reproduce exponentially.
- Getting access to your house is easy: Keeping lumber or mulch near your foundation gives them quick and easy access. They will create exploratory tubes that protect them from the cold while getting them closer to areas where wood touches the soil. It is only a matter of finding a crack to slip into, and they will wreak havoc on structures.
How to Keep Termite Infestation at Bay
These pests are very useful in the environment since they feed on dead plants, leaf litter, animal dung, and wood. The good they do out in nature is quickly overshadowed by the damage they cause to human structures. Use these tips to reduce your chances of an infestation by decreasing access to their ideal food source:
- Remove any wooden debris from around the foundation of your home. This includes mulch, firewood, lumber, sticks, and trellises.
- Reduce humidity by stopping drafts, repairing leaks, and using a dehumidifier in areas with much
- Redirect water away from structures with downspouts, gutters, and sump pumps.
Keep Your Home SafeEven in Winter with the Help of aTrusted Termite Control Company
Protecting your home from wood-eating pests should not stop just because winter is here. Enlist the help of experienced and trusted termite control professionals. Times Up Termite, Inc. has been helping homeowners and businesses throughout Oakland, Fremont, Castro Valley, and Berkley get rid of these unwanted pests since 1991. We are happy to conduct a free termite inspection and establish a plan to keep these damaging bugs away. Keep the termites out and the warmth in.
Give us a call at 510-568-7200 to speak with our team of expertsat Times Up Termite, Inc. You can also contact us online to request a free termite inspection.