No one wants to hear the words, “You have termites.” You may immediately imagine a cartoonish picture of a massive bug with pinchers ripping through the studs in your walls only to be thwarted by a masked character spraying an even more giant cloud of chemicals. Do you see the termite grabbing its thorax and gasp for air? This image may be an exaggeration; however, homeowners around the country dread hearing that they may have a problem with wood-boring bugs. Once you have had a thorough termite inspection of your Union City home, you will have some decisions to make on the treatment options available.
Kinds of Termite Treatments Based on the Type of Termite
Your termite control specialist can explain the type of bug chewing on your home and what treatment options are available to you. Here is a basic breakdown to help you understand what they share with you:
- Subterranean Termite Treatment Options: This type of wood-eating pest nests in the ground and moves into your home via mud tubes, cracks in concrete foundations, or stacked wood that is in contact with the ground. For these pesky critters, your choices include bait stations and termiticide applications.
- Drywood Termite Treatment Options: These pests do not spend time in the ground like their subterranean counterparts. Since they need less moisture, they are often found in your attic and will eat their way from top to bottom of the structure. You may be presented with gas fumigation or a targeted termiticide application.
- Dampwood Termite Treatment Options: While larger than subterranean termites, this kind of wood eater prefers damp wood and is not often found in the ground or mud tubes. They tend not to be quite as destructive as the other two types. Usually, treatment includes moisture removal and termiticides.
Hearing the words “termiticide” may seem a bit intimidating while also not very explanatory. To better understand what your pest control professional is referring to, it helps to have the basics. Here is a breakdown for you:
- Bait Stations – This treatment uses stations filled with chemicals that termites ingest, carry back to the colony, and share with their mates. It addresses the source of the termites and is designed to control an infestation before it gets to your home.
- Gas Fumigation – Fumigation is used for those termites that don’t make their home in the ground. The pest management professional places a tarp over the structure and then releases a fumigant that permeates the house.
- Termiticides – This is a more targeted option that often comes in a liquid, foam, or spray form. The structure of your home determines what option your pest professional chooses.
- Moisture Removal – When you remove water from the area, your home becomes less enticing. This method includes fixing leaks, ensuring proper air flow occurs through a damp location, and eliminating woodpiles from around the house.
Stop Termites in Their Path with an Inspection Conducted by Times Up Termite
Make the best decision for termite treatment when discussing each option’s pros and cons with Times Up Termite. Our team is dedicated to eradicating these pests and keeping your family safe. We provide many choices, including the eco-friendly, reduced-risk pesticide, Altriset. If your Union City home has children, pets, or pregnant moms within it, consider this option. We are happy to help you decide when you call us today.
Call 510-568-7200 to speak with our team of experienced, licensed professionals at Times Up Termite, Inc. You can also contact us online to request a free termite inspection in Union City.