What do you know about termites? Most people understand that these are wood-eating bugs that cause thousands of dollars in damage to homes. That’s true. They are also known as Mother Nature’s cleaners in the wild. Yet, for years, homeowners have tried to fight these pests, keep them from invading structures, and remain where they belong. If you have an infestation, you will want them out immediately. That’s when you call the professionals to conduct a termite inspection of your Union City home. Once the inspection is complete, the technician will hand you a report and may use some terminology you don’t readily understand. You may think they are speaking a foreign language. Using our simple guide can help you better understand the technician when they start ‘speaking termite.’
10 Termite Terms Every Homeowner Should Understand
Knowing your enemy and the methods your preferred pest control company will use starts with understanding these terms:
- Cellulose: This is the basic building block of wood, cotton, and plants. Termites consume cellulose, and their gut’s protozoa help them digest it.
- Colony: Another name for the nest where the queen and nursery are located.
- Dampwood termites: These pests prefer high moisture content wood. Think about the decaying wood in your yard.
- Drywood termites: They are usually found in dry, non-decayed wood. This can include live trees, buildings, utility poles, and even your attic.
- Subterranean termites: Termites that prefer to live underground in moist soil. They will often show up in your home’s foundation.
- Pheromones: Termites communicate through chemical secretions specific to each colony. Scouts will deposit pheromones along the way to new food sources for others to find.
- Swarming: The act of male and female swarmers leaving the nest to mate and start new colonies, sometimes in your home.
- Swarmers: Some male and female termites have wings that allow them to leave the colony, typically in the spring or fall, searching for a place to build a new colony.
- Termite bait: This is an attractant that the wood-chewing pests eat, return to their nest, and share with others in the colony.
- Termiticide: A pesticide that protects your structure against subterranean termites. Your preferred pest control company is qualified to spray this and ensure it gets to the right place.
Keep Your Home Termite-Free – Choose a Dependable Pest Control Company
Even if you don’t speak termite, you need a dependable pest control company that does. Times Up Termite’s technicians are trained to spot evidence of termites and offer you treatment options for eradicating them. One type of treatment is the eco-friendly, reduced-risk insecticide, Altriset, which is a good choice for homes with children, pets, or pregnant moms. We may also recommend BASF’s bait monitoring and bait stations to eradicate the wood-chewing insects. Are you ready to get your home back? Call us today!
Call 510-568-7200 to speak with our team of experienced, licensed professionals at Times Up Termite, Inc. You can also contact us online to request a free termite inspection in Union City.