Homeowners nationwide take pains to keep their houses in great shape to ensure decades of enjoyment. They will spend spring weekends cleaning up and refreshing landscape beds. Summer is regular lawn care, and fall is for prepping for winter. Inside, they may clean and declutter, make necessary repairs, and swap out seasonal decorations. From the surface, all looks good and tidy. Few would expect a pest to be trashing their hard work, but termites often infest a home before the owner is aware. They hunker down and eat away at beams, floors, walls, and attics. Homeowners can find relief in routine termite inspections of their Hayward homes to ensure that any infestation is dealt with swiftly.
5 Simple Steps You Can Take to Keep Termites Away
Keeping your home in good shape keeps your property values high and helps you and your family enjoy what you own. Just like you conduct regular maintenance and upkeep on your real estate, you can take some simple steps to keep termites away and ensure your home safe from these damaging pests.
- Prevent wood from contacting the ground. When wood components of a structure are in contact with the ground, termites will take advantage. It offers them easy access to food, moisture, and shelter. Your goal should be to keep any wood siding, door, or window frames at least six inches above ground. You will want to shift any mulch away from your foundation and cut the bottom off latticework.
- Keep moisture away from the foundation. Termites need moisture and will infest the soil next to a consistently moist foundation. Keep your gutters clean of debris, and use downspouts and splash blocks to wick the water away. Fix any leaky faucets, pipes, and air conditioning units, too. You may need to have the ground near the foundation re-graded to direct water away from it.
- Reduce moisture in the crawl space. Be sure your crawl space has plenty of ventilation. Be extra vigilant to remove leaves, dirt, and debris from the vents. Trim back any plants that block them, too. You may want to install sheeting over about 75% of the soil surface as a vapor barrier.
- Store firewood and wood debris away from the foundation. Any material that entices termites needs to be stored away from the foundation. This includes vines, ivy, dense plants, and removing stumps and dead roots around and beneath buildings.
- Schedule routine termite inspections. Depend on the professionals to inspect your Hayward home and ensure any wood-chewing pests are gone. Regular inspections will equip you to stay ahead of a potential infestation.
Keep Termites Away – Hire a Reliable, Experienced Pest Control Company
Enjoy a termite-free home with help from Times Up Termite. Our dedicated team is ready to thoroughly inspect your property and offer options for eradicating pests. We offer different treatments based on your unique situation. One type of treatment is the eco-friendly, reduced-risk insecticide, Altriset, which is a good choice for homes with children, pets, or pregnant moms. We may also recommend BASF’s bait monitoring and bait stations to eradicate the wood-chewing insects. Prevent an infestation. Call us today!
Call 510-568-7200 to speak with our team of experienced, licensed professionals at Times Up Termite, Inc. You can also contact us online to request a free termite inspection in Hayward.