Who remembers sitting at the kids’ table during Thanksgiving? The youngsters were relegated to a tiny table while the adults sat around the big table talking, laughing, and eating. Cousin Eddie would get bored and start shooting peas through a straw, hitting Cousin Anne in the eye, and causing Cousin George to spit his milk on Cousin Carol. Yeah, holidays can be a little boring for the kiddos. One way to keep them entertained while sitting around their table is to share fun facts about a subject many kids love…bugs! More specifically, tell them some fun facts about termites. They will be entranced and maybe even grossed out while they giggle. Remember that sharing facts can be fun, but having those wood chewers in your home is not. Call in a reliable pest control company to conduct a termite inspection in Fremont before the festivities begin at your home.
7 Fun Facts About Termites to Share Around the Kids’ Table
Why not leave the adults’ table and head to the kids’ table to share these fun termite facts?
- Termites are older than Grandma and Grandpa. Many kids think their grandparents are older than dirt. They will be surprised to know that termites are much older than any of their grandparents. These bugs have been around for millions of years. Think, dinosaur old!
- Their closest cousin is the cockroach. Termites look a lot like ants, but they are not related. Instead, the termite and cockroach come from the same ancestor. It gives the song ‘La Cucaracha’ a whole new twist.
- They never sleep. If Cousin Eddie and Timmy the Termite were to have a contest to see who could stay awake the longest playing video games, Timmy the Termite would win. These bugs eat and work 24 hours a day, building tunnels, burrowing, and building nests daily. Their average lifespan is about two years, and they stay awake the entire time.
- They can out-eat all the kids around the table. These wood chewers eat constantly. A colony of voracious eaters will consume a 96-inch wood plank in about five months. It sounds like a long time until you realize the size of the wood compared to the size of the bug.
- Some places in the world will eat termites. Eww…eating bugs! Yes. Termites are nutritious as they have protein, amino acids, and calories. They are usually toasted or fried and seasoned with salt. How many kids would like to have bugs next Thanksgiving?
- Termites have ‘bugs’ in their bellies. The wood-boring bugs have more than 100 species of stomach bacteria that help them break down cellulose. This gives a whole new meaning to having a stomach bug.
- They have lots of gas. If you listen long enough to the kids talking, someone will bring up bodily functions. You can one-up them by telling them that all termites worldwide produce about 150 million pounds of methane yearly.
Keep Your Home Termite-Free – Choose a Reliable Pest Control Company
Sharing fun termite facts is one thing. Having an infestation is quite another. Rely on the reliable service of Times Up Termite to ensure your Fremont home remains bug-free. Our well-trained technicians can spot evidence of termites and offer you treatment options to eradicate these pesky bugs. One type of treatment they may suggest is the eco-friendly, reduced-risk insecticide, Altriset, which is a good choice for homes with children, pets, or pregnant moms. We may also recommend BASF’s bait monitoring and bait stations to destroy the wood-chewing insects. Call us today!
Call 510-568-7200 to speak with our team of experienced, licensed professionals at Times Up Termite, Inc. You can also contact us online to request a free termite inspection in Fremont.