As winter creeps up and settles in, many homeowners put away their gardening tools and lawnmowers and leave the outdoor stuff until the temperatures heat up. There is a sense of putting things to bed for that long “winter nap”. Many animals, like bears, have been packing on the pounds all spring and summer to prepare for hibernation. Unlike hibernating animals, termites never rest. Instead, they keep chewing on your San Mateo home all year long. To ensure your home doesn’t fall prey to these munching machines, it is a good idea to make an appointment for a thorough inspection and have any termite treatment implemented, even while it is colder outside.
5 Reasons to Keep Your Winter Termite Treatment on Schedule
You might think that termites should stop building their colonies and take the winter off. The opposite is true. They keep eating, and your home or business is the perfect buffet for their unending appetite. When you consider canceling that scheduled termite inspection, please think again. Here is why:
- Termites Don’t Stop Destroying: These wood-boring bugs eat 24/7, 365 days a year. Now, it may seem like they are gone with colder weather, but they never leave without proper termite treatment.
- Subterranean Termites Dig Deeper: These termites move deeper into the ground during the cold season. They don’t like the cold, so they may not nibble on wood exposed to the elements during this time, but they never stop looking and eating.
- Heated Buildings Can Be Victims Too: Where there is heat, there is movement. Drywood termites work their way down from your rafters. As you warm your home, they will likely move down to those areas that are warmer.
- Egg Laying Still Happens: Queens will continue laying their eggs with some minor adjustments depending on the temperature and climate. The southern states can expect continuous egg-laying, while it may be suspended in northern states, except in those warm buildings.
- It Is Still Possible to Find Evidence of Termites: Even with some adjustments to their daily routine, termites leave evidence they are in your home. A professional pest control company will be able to spot the signs and offer effective termite treatment options to get you back to a bug-free house.
Keep Your San Mateo Home Termite Free All Year Long with Timely Inspections
Termites never rest, and neither should you. Contact the experienced team at Times Up Termite to conduct a complete inspection during the winter months to ensure you keep a termite-free home. If we do find evidence of activity, we have several different options to eradicate the bugs. From bait stations and tenting, we provide you with many choices. One choice is that of the eco-friendly, reduced-risk pesticide, Altriset. You may want to utilize this pesticide if your San Mateo home has children, pets, or pregnant moms within it. We can answer your questions and explain more when you contact us today.
Call 510-568-7200 to speak with our team of experienced, licensed professionals at Times Up Termite, Inc. You can also contact us online to request a free termite inspection in San Mateo.