Termites cause damage to homes all year long. If they infest your house, they will continue to eat 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Yet, they also have slightly different habits depending on the season. Spring seems to be the most active time for these pests. Summer months bring some issues to a colony. Fall is a perfect time for swarming for some types of these bugs, and winter is a little less hectic but still busy. So what does spring hold for wood-eating pests? It is a great time to make sure you schedule a termite inspection of your Pleasanton home.
What to Expect from Termites in the Spring
Spring is a time of renewal and growth. Trees and flowers bud, and animals reproduce. For the lowly termite, what does a typical spring season look like? It starts with warm weather and the need to explore:
- Swarmers Leave the Colony in Search of New Homes: Most species of subterranean termites swarm during spring and summer. The weather conditions are ripe, and the bugs are ready. When the colony becomes quite large, reproductives will leave the nest and fly off to find another place to colonize.
- Some Tree Varieties Are Loosely Tied to Swarming: As you see the trees blooming, you might also see swarms of termites. This isn’t a coincidence. Mother Nature has a way of tying creatures and plants together, even loosely. You can use the blooming trees as an indication of termite movement. For example, some eastern subterranean species generally swarm about when dogwood trees first flower.
- Summer Is a Time for Chewing: As spring transitions to summer, the colonies will settle down to the daily duties of foraging and eating. The workforce is smaller because of spring flooding, so the secondary queens will begin egg production to increase the workforce.
Keep Pests at Bay with a Termite Inspection in Pleasanton
You don’t have to fear spring and the swarmers. You can take some steps to stop termites from infiltrating your home all year long by:
- Repairing any leaking faucets, pipes, and exterior air conditioning units
- Repairing your fascia, soffits, and any rotten roof shingles
- Diverting water away from your home with downspouts, gutters, and splash blocks
- Keeping woodpiles away from the foundation of your home
- Scheduling regular termite inspections by the trained team at Times Up Termite
We have served homeowners in Pleasanton and the surrounding areas for over 30 years. We know how to eradicate termites. One eco-friendly, reduced-risk pesticide we offer is called Altriset. This choice is particularly good for homes with children, pets, or pregnant moms. For bait stations, we recommend Trelona by BASF. It’s a great product to rid your home of these pests. After making your home termite-free, depend on us to keep them gone with regular termite inspections. Contact us today to schedule your free inspection!
Call 510-568-7200 to speak with our team of experienced, licensed professionals at Times Up Termite, Inc. You can also contact us online to request a free termite inspection in Pleasanton.