The animal kingdom is filled with a vast array of beasts. Some are strong and impressive, like the lion. There are fish as big as ocean liners in the sea—few live in isolation. Instead, most live in different types of groups, such as pods, prides, or colonies. One animal that thrives in a colony is the termite. These tiny wood-chewing tanks are Mother Nature’s cellulose cleaning crew. For homeowners, they are a threat to a home, wreaking havoc wherever they land. Yet, many people don’t know much about these tiny bugs with voracious appetites until they discover a soft spot on their floor or hollow-sounding walls. A dependable pest control company can help you with all your questions, especially regarding reliable termite treatment options for your Hayward home.
6 FAQs Regarding Termites and Termite Treatment
When you noticed some ant-like flying insects, did you automatically think “ant” or “termite”? Do you know how to lessen the chance of an infestation in your home? Here are six frequently asked questions about termites and treating termites that will help you be better informed:
- What do termites look like? Is it an ant? Is it a termite? How do you know the difference? It takes a keen eye to spot the differences easily. These tiny bugs are about a quarter of an inch long and are generally light brown or white. The reproductive ones have a double set of wings the same length. They have straight antennae and a thick waist. Remember that you may not readily spot some types of termites as they like to remain hidden in your walls and the ground.
- What kinds of termites are there? There are thousands of species of termites, but the three major kinds commonly found are dampwood, drywood, and subterranean. Dampwood termites are commonly found in moist or rotting wood. The drywood variety prefers extremely dry wood. Subterranean termites love moist environments, especially the soil beneath your home.
- How much damage can a colony do? They aren’t called ‘homewreckers’ for nothing. These insects eat 24 hours a day, seven days a week. They will damage wooden structures quickly in the absence of regular termite inspections. It is estimated that they cause billions of dollars in damage each year.
- How can I prevent termites from infesting my house? You can take many steps to thwart an infestation. Start with eliminating or reducing moisture in and around your house. Fix leaky faucets immediately and divert water away from your foundation with clean gutters. Trim trees and hedges around the structure. Finally, have regular termite inspections by a licensed professional.
- Can I get rid of termites on my own? These pests are great at what they do and can chomp on your house for years without you knowing it. Once they infiltrate your home, they are challenging to eliminate unless you have a trained eye and the right equipment. To ensure your Hayward home remains termite free, it is best to hire professionals to come in and conduct termite treatments.
- What kinds of termite treatments are available? Your preferred pest control company will offer the best solutions for your situation, including bait traps, fumigation, and termiticides.
Protect Your Home with Superior Termite Treatments in Hayward
Start with a call to Times Up Termite. We are experts at spotting these wood-chewing pests and eradicating them. We thoroughly inspect your home and provide you with different termite treatment options. One such option is the eco-friendly, reduced-risk solution called Altriset. It is an excellent choice if you have children, pets, or pregnant moms living in the home. We may also recommend termite monitoring/ bait stations by BASF that are proven to be highly effective for treating subterranean termites.
Call 510-568-7200 to speak with our team of experienced, licensed professionals at Times Up Termite, Inc. You can also contact us online to request a free termite inspection and book a termite treatment in Hayward.